December 4, 2005
December 21, 2005
- To all our friends near and far... [click for full-sized version]
December 11, 2005
November 27, 2005
- Today - some very special photos from Lorraine Clarke ...of her granddad, Dave Dixon, the Dave Dixon Orchestra/Showband . Lorraine, thank-you for sharing these with us... they're some very special photos,indeed!
November 24, 2005
November 23, 2005
November 21, 2005
- Apologies folks -- lost a few days worth of updates -- will have all reconstructed by day's end. So, if you think you saw an update - no need to take memory pills.
November 21, 2005
- Added today - the second of the pics of the Manhattan Showband (Dublin) .
- We've promised to help Mr. Trevor Keys with finding some folks he's lost track of over the years... Trevor writes:
"I have been playing in showbands from 1958 and still have a six piece (Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Trumpet & Sax ) on the road. ...I only found out about your site from a very good friend namely Barney Mullan who used to drum with the Barristers Showband from Derry.
I have a lot of 'friends' out there in the old showband scene that I not seen or heard of in over 40 years such as the Dixielanders, Capitol, Cadets, Royal, Miami, Drifters, Jim Farley etc, etc.
I have played relief to ALL the big showband names at the Borderland in Muff; the Camoe Ballroom in Derry; the Fiesta in Letterkenny; the Top Hat in Portstewart where one of 'the' gentlemen in the music business, Mr Bobby Platt, used to book the bands back in the 60's. Bobby is still going strong and i'm sure if some of the ',big boys' were to see this letter they would be delighted to know that he is still 'alive & kicking' and a very fit man.
Hopefully you will post this letter on your website and anyone out there who remembers me from my days in Derry and the 'Embassy' resident band in Derry and the resident band in the Gresham Ballroom in Holloway Rd, London with Brendan Quinn etc. to get in touch with me. Many thanks .
Regards From Trevor Keys [ex Dave Cuthbert Showband from Derr , The Rhythm Aces from Convoy Co. Donegal; The Signetts, The Swingtones, The Flingle , The Embassy Showband all from Derry; Rainbow Country Sounds from London; Brendan Quinn & the Bluebirds Magherafelt; Coffee & Cream from Derry; The original Trevor Keys & The Foyle Showband from Derry, and now up-to-date with The Trevor Keys Showband.] "
webmaster note: if you'd like to get in contact with Trevor, drop us a line and we'll be happy to forward your particulars on.
November 20, 2005
- Received today - pics of the Manhattan Showband (Dublin) sent to us by Darren Walsh, son of an old friend and co-worker, Jack Walsh. Sincerest thanks, Darren, for the pics and for reviving some very pleasant memories.
November 18, 2005
- The Jivenaires Re-Union DVD was launched in the Moving Stairs on Friday 11th November. There was a big turn-out for the event and the DVD was shown on the big screen. Sean Kenny did the honours in launching the DVD.
The DVD covers two hours and captures very vividly the events leading up to the re-union dance and of course the dance itself. "Were you there?" - well if you were then more than likely you shown on the DVD. The DVD would be a unique and ideal gift at Christmas.
A limited number of copies of the DVD are available at McDonaghs newsagents or from the Brothers of Charity, Boyle and the total proceeds go to the Association for the Mentally Handicapped in Boyle.
October 10, 2005
September 28, 2005
September 27, 2005
- Thanks to Mr Andrew Monk (Bass, Stardust Showband) for sending in a coupla pics of the Stardust Showband (Derry) - check back tomorrow for the second pic!
- And....to those who've written over the past couple of months and not received any reply, or perhaps had mails bounce back --- our sincerest apologies, our experience with a previous (heavy emphasis on "previous") hosting company turned out to be a bit of a nightmare. Sooo....resend those royalty checks and gala invitations.....we're back in business!
July 16, 2005
July 9, 2005
- A heartfelt thank-you to Mr. Jack Flahive Jr. (Aus.) for sharing a couple of photos of his dad - a gentleman whose name we trust most of you will recognise for his roles as band leader (Jack Flahive Band/Orchestra), band member ( Olympic Showband) and as head of the Irish Federation of Musicians and Associated Professions (IFMAP).
June 16, 2005
- A challenge for our visitors and friends - Can any of you name the showband musicians appearing in this photo? (click pic to see a larger version.)
Hint: picture was taken in or around 1957. The Band is the Mullingar Brass and Reed Band.
June 1, 2005
- Brian Coll and the Buckaroos section started.
May 30, 2005
May 28, 2005
- Just recently released a new Capitol Showband CD entitled "The Capitol Showband - A Collector's Item" introduced by Des Kelly. Features songs recorded live at Dublin's Crystal Ballroom. For particulars and ordering information click HERE
March 5, 2005
February 27, 2005
- Just added - a new pic to the Art Supple and the Victors section - special thanks to Mr Vinny Baker proprietor of Vee Bee Recording Studio and Vee Bee Guitar School of Mullingar for the scan!
- Betcha thought we'd gone into hibernation, eh? We're still here - doing a bit of cleaning up backstage, and working on another project or two.
December 31, 2004
- Handout photo of the Madisons Showband added.
- And, to one and all - Thanks for another wonderful year and may your New Year be one filled with blessings and good fortune.
December 30, 2004
- Seasonal gift suggestion...perfect for Christmas,
New Years or just because. It's for a good cause and will help keep
at least one wayward showbander out of trouble!
the Virginians section with a
pic of Dermot Henry and a song promo card.
- 2 new
pics (well, one not quite so new...John Baird, apologies on
this one - it just plain got lost ) in the Maurice Mulcahy
- - If you're in the
broadcast area, give Dave a listen. He'll be featuring strictly
Westmeath musicians - playing their music and chatting with
them. Might even be a showband story or two or three along the
- The Vibratones (Belfast)
section started - with three handout pics (thanx, Mike for your
received this morning, the following request for help in
finding materials for a documentary on Dickie Rock:
on me, Dickie!
Dickie Rock is one of Ireland's most famous sons. A star from
days long past but days that are still fondly remembered by his
loyal fans who have made Dickie one of the most successful
singers in Ireland. A string of number ones and a Eurovision
entry to his credit, in all Dickie had 25 Irish hits from 1963
to 1983, surpassed only by Cliff Richard, Elvis Presley, the
Beatles, David Bowie and the Rolling Stones.
Dickie Rock is the original Irish Pop star.
Though the heady days of the showband era and the seventies
are behind him, ever the consummate performer and entertainer
Dickie still Rocks cabaret venues all over Ireland where the
famous cry 'Spit on me Dickie' can still be heard.
Mint Productions are making a film for RTE about his life- the
man behind the performer, but this film will also look at his
long career in the entertainment industry and at his dedicated
We are seeking to make contact with his fans, those who grew
up, courted and danced serenaded by Dickie.
Photographs and in particular film (super 8) taken at the time
are of a particular interest as are Dickie memorabillia,
tickets, albums and programmes.
We would love to hear your stories; couples who met and fell
in love at a Dickie show; stories that can recount those salad
days of the ballrooms and the showbands.
If you have any information that could be of help in our
making of this production please get in touch with us
we’d love to hear your stories!
205 Lower Rathmines Road
Tel: 01 4913333
- A couple of unique
photos of Joe Dolan and the
Drifters appearing on Russian TV in 1978 - a sincere thank-you to Mr.
Patrick Hoye for these!
- A pic of Simon
Scott added to the Plattermen
- A poster from their
first tour of Canada added to the Swingtime Aces
section..special thanks to Davy Hynes of Irelands Music for the
- A photo of Bill Mac
and a newspaper clipping added to the Classic Showband
- Some magical
Mullingar moments....The Phantoms -
Sincere thanks to Joe Feely for pulling these pics out of his memory
- A new pic for the
Newmen section sent in by
Gerry Mcilmurray. Thank-you
Gerry...good to hear from you again!
note..how on earth did September get here so fast?!]
- And...started the
August 24 ,
August 21 ,
August 20 ,
August 15 ,
August 14 ,
- A new picture added
to the Plattermen
- A Navigation
problem (hopefully) fixed on the index.html page.
August 11 ,
August 8 ,
August 5 ,
August 4 ,
August 1 ,
- Another handout
photo added to the Mainliners
- The beginnings of a
FAQ's page for the
Discussion Board put online.
- Added a new pic to
the Derrick and the Sounds
- Some adding of
instructions to the Discussion Board - will be adding more bit by bit over
the next few days as questions arise. Hopefully will develop into a of
- The College Boys (Newtownabbey, Antrim)
- Discussion Board changed
from Members Only to open to all (sorry, ticked the wrong box in the admin
section) - changes and tweaks will be ongoing as well as adding
documentation to some of the less "intuitive" aspects of it.
change...first rule of the universe, eh? We'll be changing the navigation a
little over the next few weeks (that's optimistic timing...may take
longer). Have to do it the old fashioned way, by hand, so bare with
- Beta Test - y'all
are invited to play with a new Discussion Board script -
will apologise upfront for it not being compatible with older browsers.
This may or may not be a permanent addition to Jives, we're just testing
the waters. Memberships are not required to browse or to post.
- Two additions to
the Dawn Knight and the Casuals
- Started the Claxton
Showband (Fermanagh) section.
- Added a new pic to
the Cadets section
- Made this page a
little shorter - link to previous what's new page is at the bottom of this
- Switching gears and
heading South to Westmeath and an earlier Drifters pic featuring Joe
Dolan with a nicely sculpted ducktail hair do.
- Some small tweaks
in appearance of the guestbook
- Ahhh...what the
heck, one more Cossacks pic
for the road....(tomorrow we'll do something a lil different).
- A third picture
added to the Cossacks
- A second picture
added to the Cossacks
- Another handout pic
added to the Victors
- Got a start on a
section featuring another Ballymena band - The Cossacks. Many thanks to Billy Swann for
the kick-off! (ps. buy his book)